Thursday 13 September 2012

Hip Hop/Rap Conventions Parody

I recognised the typical conventions of Hip Hop/Rap music videos, and I made a parody video showing these conventions. I also got to practise using Final Cut Pro so I now know how the software works for when I plan to make my music video. 



 For the first shot I constructed a low angle close up shot, which is typical in hip hop/rap music videos to introduced the artist as being powerful. The location is on the stairs, because hip hop/rap videos are often set in urban settings. 
When people think of hip hop/rap music, drinking, clubbing, smoking and drugs are often associated, because of the stereotypical view from society. Therefore I did a shot of the bouncy ball (artist) in an arcade, giving the impression he may be clubbing. 

Hip hop/rap music videos often show a male artist surrounded by women dressed in suggestive clothing. In the short clip I made, I used two female figures to show this typical convention. I tried to film them typically behind the lead singer, and dancing, because they are often made to be seen in a sexual vulnerable way in Hip Hop/Rap music videos.

When people think of Rap or Hip Hop music videos, because of the lyrics, iconography such as an urban location is assumed. Therefore in one of the shots I used a location with fancy cars, and in another location I filmed graffiti on the wall in the background. Smoking and drinking are also associated with Rap/Hip Hop music videos, hence I took some mid-shots of the artist (bouncy ball) supposedly smoking and drinking alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment